30 September – 1 October 2021
QUT | Kelvin Grove | Brisbane | Australia
This event will be in-person and online
The ADM+S News & Media Research Symposium will present insights into current developments in News Production, Content Personalisation and Information Dissemination.
This event will be streamed here
Modern digital news and media platforms deploy automated decision-making systems intensively, with positive as well as problematic results. Search engines, personalised newsfeeds, content moderation systems and programmatic advertising all now play integral roles in media.
This enables new forms of computer-assisted reporting and audience analytics in journalism, but also creates risks to democratic processes and social cohesion through the automated curation of personalised information and the algorithmic amplification of misinformation and other social harms based on selection principles that are transparent and inequitable.
This Symposium will bring together researchers and industry partners to discuss the latest research on how platforms, data and automation are transforming the creation, curation, and dissemination of news, media, and entertainment content.
This 2 day symposium will include:
- In-conversation and panel sessions with key partners including AlgorithmWatch, Hans Bredow Institute, Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, RMIT ABC Factcheck, and Data & Society (US).
- Speakers from Telstra and First Nations Media Australia.
- Insights from Australian and International ADM+S researchers in the News & Media focus area.
- Highlights and initial findings from current research projects including the Australian Search Experience project.
- Soft launch of the Australian Ad Observatory project.